A fall favorite. Flavorfully moist apple bread with a nutty buttery crunch crumb topping
It is really starting to feel like fall here in North Carolina! In honor of fall, I want to share my dad’s apple bread recipe. This recipe is a family recipe from my dad, and he made this bread for my mom when they were dating. My mom liked it so much, she even added it to her recipe book!
Although we haven’t baked this bread in a while, it used to be a staple in my house when I was younger. We would always make this bread after we went apple picking. What else would we do with 15 pounds of apples? By the end of fall, we would have eaten 10 loaves of apple bread!
Originally, there was no crumb topping on this bread (that’s my addition!). However, I think the crumbs provide an extra crunch and texture to the bread that makes it taste even better and makes it more interesting! The crumbs also add a little bit of sweetness to the crust which brings everything together perfectly.
When making this bread, you don’t even have to peel the apples! I personally think that having the skin on the apple adds to the texture of the inside of the bread, and let’s be honest, it is just easier to not peel the apples. If you do not want the skin, you can feel free to peel them, it will be just as yummy! Do what you like best! The rest of the recipe is pretty straight forward.
When you are adding the crumbs on top, I like to press together a few really big crumbs and push them into the batter slightly, then cover it up with smaller crumbs. Doing this will create pockets of buttery and nutty deliciousness within the moist bread!
I would love to see you guys making this recipe! Tag me in your creations on Instagram @beyondbakingwithamandajane
Dad's Yummy Apple Crumb Bread
- For the bread:
- 2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups raw apple chunks, 2-3 apples
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup chopped pecans For the crumb:
- 1/2 cup + 1 Tablespoon all purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoon + 2 teaspoons packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tablespoons + 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9x5x3 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each edition.
- Gradually stir in the flour mixture until just combined.
- Add cubed apples, milk, vanilla, and chopped pecans. Mix until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, make the crumb topping. Stir the flour, sugars, cinnamon, and salt together. Cut in the softened butter until you have crumbs. Sprinkle on top.
- Bake for 50-65 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.