Light and airy peanut butter cookies shaped just like Santa’s reindeer!
It wouldn’t be Christmas without a peanut butter cookie! Growing up, we always made peanut butter cookies because it is my brother’s favorite. This year, I decided to spice up our peanut butter cookies and make them look like Rudolph! These cookies are so fun and festive AND they are full of delicious peanut buttery flavor.
You may recognize this recipe from my Perfect Peanut Butter Blossoms recipe. My peanut butter blossom recipe can be made throughout the year, but during the holidays, you can make them more festive by shaping them into reindeer! Every week leading up to Christmas, I will be sharing some of my favorite cookie recipes! Last time, I shared my Chocolate Lover’s Chocolate Crinkle Cookie and Pastel Christmas Sugar Cookie Pinwheels! Don’t forget to also check out my Christmas cookie recipes from last year under the Christmas Cookie tab on my blog!
For this recipe, you make the dough just as you would the Perfect Peanut Butter Blossoms recipe. Instead of just rolling balls of dough, you are going to shape balls of dough into an upside-down triangle like this:
Make sure the dough is not too thin, it should be around 3/4-inch thick. Then, coat the dough in granulated sugar and place it on the cookie sheet about 2 inches apart. While the cookies are baking, gather the reindeer’s ears, eyes, and nose. For the ears, it is easiest to buy the Snyder’s of Hanover itty bitty mini pretzels. This will avoid the hassle of trying to break larger pretzels in half for the ears. For the eyes, I like to use mini chocolate chips, and for the nose, I went to my local Party City to get red M&Ms. Set out all of these ingredients so you are ready to turn these triangles into reindeer when the dough comes out of the oven.
Once the dough comes out, immediately place two pretzels on the top for ears, two mini chocolate chips for eyes, and one red M&M for the nose. Next thing you know, you’re going to have a tray full of little reindeer! Have fun decorating (and eating) these deliciously cute cookies!
I would love to see your little reindeer too! Tag me in your pictures @beyondbakingwithamandajane on Instagram and use the #beyondbakingwithamandajane! I hope you enjoy these cookies!
Reindeer Peanut Butter Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup creamy peanut butter (do not use chunky)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup granulated sugar for rolling (optional)
- about 70 Snyder’s of Hanover Itty Bitty Mini pretzels
- 2 Tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- 25-30 red M&M’s
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line cookies sheets with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream the softened butter, peanut butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar until pale and fluffy, about 3-5 minutes.
- Add the egg, milk, and vanilla. Mix until combined.
- Add the flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until just combined.
- Scoop 1 1/2 inch dough balls and shape them into upside-down triangles, making sure the cookie is about 3/4-inch thick. Roll the dough in granulated sugar. Place on a prepared cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes. While the cookies are baking, prepare the ears, eyes, and nose.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and immediately, gently push the reindeer facial features into the dough. Let sit for 5 minutes for the cookie to cool.