Light, chewy, and moist coconut macaroons dipped in chocolate.
9 more days till Christmas! We’re celebrating with coconut macaroons! Don’t get them confused with the French macaron though. Coconut macaroons are a mixture of coconut and egg whites that form a sweet and chewy cookie. French macarons are whipped egg whites that get folded in with almond flour and sandwiched with various fillings.
Every week until Christmas, I will be posting some of my favorite Christmas cookie recipes! So far this month, I have made Greek Sesame Twist Cookies, Perfect Peanut Butter Blossoms, and Super Simple Nutella Lover’s Chocolate Cookies. Follow my blog and my Instagram so you don’t miss a recipe!
These cookies are definitely for the Coconut lovers, and they are super easy to make. I like to add a little bit of cake flour to my cookies, which is not necessarily traditional. I like to add the cake flour because it makes the cookies a little more tender and soft. I also like to dip my macaroons in chocolate because, in this house, we love chocolate!
To make these cookies, begin by pulsing the coconut flakes in a food processor to make smaller flakes. I like to pulse the shredded coconut because it looks smoother and less messy in the final product. In a heat safe bowl over a pot of simmering water, heat the egg whites, sugar, and salt until warm to the touch. Remove from heat and add the extracts, baking powder, flour and coconut. Freeze for 25 minutes or refrigerate for 2 hours. Once chilled, use a 1-inch cookie scoop, and scoop the dough and place 2 inches apart on a prepared cookie sheet. Bake until just golden.
Dipping the macaroons in chocolate makes these cookies even better than they already are, but it is totally optional! After baking, you can put the macaroons into the fridge and chill for an hour. Then, dip the macaroons in melted chocolate. I just used Nestle chocolate chips and melted about 1/2 a cup of chocolate chips in a double boiler. Let the chocolate set in the fridge again. Enjoy!
I would love to see you try out my coconut macaroons! Tag me in your pictures on Instagram @beyondbakingwithamandajane!
Chocolate Dipped Coconut Macaroons
- For the cookie:
- 1 1/2 cups shredded coconut (sweetened or unsweetened)
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup cake flour For the chocolate (optional):
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate
- In a food processor, pulse the coconut into small flakes.
- On medium heat, bring a pot of water to a simmer for a double boiler.
- In the top of the double boiler, add the egg whites, sugar, and salt. Whisk continuously until warm to the touch.
- Remove from heat, add in the vanilla, almond, baking powder, salt, flour, and shredded coconut. Mix until well combined. Freeze for 25 minutes or refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Using a 1-inch cookie scoop, place balls 2 inches apart on a prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 18-22 minutes, or until just golden. Remove from oven and let cool.
- If you want to dip in chocolate, refrigerate until chilled. Melt chocolate in a double boiler and dip in chocolate. Let the chocolate set in the refrigerator.