Sweet and delicious jack-o-lantern sugar cookies with a cute chocolate chip smile!
It is almost Halloween! Halloween is less than a week away, and I want to share my favorite Halloween dessert! My mom has been making these cookies with my siblings and me since before I was born. She got this recipe from her 1001 Cookie Recipes Cookbook, and over the years, we have figured out how to make this recipe as delicious and easy as possible!
These pumpkin sugar cookies are a fun and perfect Halloween dessert. They are light and soft with a perfect amount of sweetness. We add a chocolate chip jack-o-lantern face for spooky spirits. These cookies are so cute for the Halloween season!
This recipe is very simple. Begin with mixing the ingredients to form the dough. Take 1/8 of the dough, and dye this small amount of dough green for the stem of the pumpkin. I like to keep the remaining dough in the bowl of the stand mixer to mix in the orange dye. When dying the dough, keep in mind that after baking, the color of the cookie lightens up a little bit.
The dough definitely needs to be chilled before cutting and baking because the dough is very soft. After years of making these cookies, I have found that it is easiest to roll out the dough prior to chilling so it is easier to transfer onto a baking sheet. The dough should be rolled about 1/4-inch thick. Once I cut 3-inch circles out of the dough, I re-roll it between the parchment paper and put that sheet of dough back in the refrigerator. I then begin cutting the next chilled sheet of dough. Then, take a small amount of chilled green dough and shape it into a small rectangle for the stem. Gently press it into the top of the circle to make the pumpkin. Lastly, use chocolate chips to make a cute smile on each cookie! You can also use raisins for this.
Bake for 7-10 minutes at 350 degrees F. The cookies will not brown too much. Let them cool on wire racks and enjoy!
I would love to see your jack-o-lantern sugar cookies on social media! I can’t wait to see your creations! You can tag me on Instagram @beyondbakingwithamamdajane and use the hashtag #beyondbakingwithamandajane! Happy baking!
Pumpkin Shaped Pastel Sugar Cookies
- 3 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 large egg yolks
- 6 Tablespoons milk
- In a medium sized bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar.
- Beat in the egg yolks. Beat in the milk.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients until dough is formed.
- Remove about 1/8 of the dough, and dye green for the stems. Dye the rest of the dough orange.
- Divide the orange dough into 3 pieces. Roll each piece between two sheets of parchment paper until 1/4 inch thick. Place all 3 sheets of dough on a tray and chill for 3-4 hours. Press the green dough into a disc and wrap in plastic wrap to chill.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once chilled, cut 3-inch circles in the orange dough and place on a parchment lined baking tray. Take a small piece of green dough and shape into a rectangle and press one end on top of the pumpkin. Decorate with chocolate chips.
- Bake for 7 to 10 minutes.