Flavor packed, moist, and zesty lemony pound cake.
Lemon pound cake is a perfect summer dessert, and it is definitely a family favorite. My mom has been making this cake for a while now, and over the past few years, I have been trying to master the recipe. We have shared this recipe with the rest of our family and extended family and friends, and it has been such a hit! Whenever we make this cake, it’s gone within minutes. People are coming back for seconds before some people even get their first serving!
This cake does not use any artificial flavoring, like lemon extract, to get the powerful lemon flavor. It is naturally flavored with real lemon juice and lemon zest. It is crucial to use real lemons to make this cake taste like lemony perfection. The lemon zest adds a whole new level of flavor and liveliness to the batter as opposed to using just lemon juice, but the real secret ingredient is the full-fat Greek yogurt. And if you can find it in vanilla flavor, it’s even better! The full-fat yogurt makes the cake unbelievably moist with a tight crumb, silky texture. The vanilla flavoring adds a little something extra, but the cake is still fabulous with the plain yogurt. Without the yogurt, the cake would be less flavorful and dry. Lastly, I love to top this cake off with a tangy glaze to elevate the flavors of this cake.
When it comes to making this cake, it is pretty straight forward. I like to zest and squeeze the lemons first because it is the messiest and stickiest part of the recipe. After that, the rest of the recipe is a piece of (lemon pound) cake!
When baking, you have to watch the cake carefully to make sure the top doesn’t get too brown. After about 30-45 minutes, I like to loosely cover the top of the cake with foil to prevent it from browning too much. When you do this, make sure the foil covers the whole top. The cake will be done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Once completely cooled, drizzle the glaze on top until you have your design the way you like it!
This cake is definitely a hit, and I hope you try this summery cake before summer comes to an end! Tag me on Instagram with your creations @beyondbakingwithamandajane
Refreshing Lemon Yogurt Pound Cake
- For the cake
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 2 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 Tablespoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 4 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 6 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup full-fat Greek yogurt (vanilla flavored, if you can find it) For the glaze
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
- 1-2 Tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 Tablespoon freshly grated lemon zest (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and grease and flour a 12-cup Bundt pan.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer, whip together the butter, sugar, and lemon zest until very light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes. Beat in the lemon juice.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
- In a medium size bowl, stir together the flour, salt, baking soda, and baking powder.
- Add half of the dry mixture to the stand mixer, then add the Greek yogurt, then the remainder of the flour, stirring after each addition. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 65-75 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool.
- When completely cooled, remove the cake from the Bundt pan.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the confectioners sugar, 1 Tablespoon lemon juice, and zest (if desired). Add the remining lemon zest until a thick yet pourable glaze forms. Pour over cake and serve.